Building Permits

Prior to commencement of any construction work, all residents, property owners or contractors are required to obtain a building permit. Applications for building permits, once accurately completed, will go to the Souris-Glenwood Council for final approval.  Approval must be obtained from Council before work can begin.

This is a guide only. If you have any questions, would like a complete copy of the Building By-laws pertaining to your project, or you would like a building permit application, please contact the Town Office at (204) 483-5200.

Municipal Building Permit fillable

Zoning Map

Information Required when Applying for a Building Permit

The owner or an agent of the owner must complete a building permit application form. Information on the application form includes:

  • Identify and describe in detail the work being done (new, addition, alteration, renovation, repair, etc.)
  • Describe the land on which the work is to be done by a description that will readily identify and locate the building lot. (A survey certificate showing the proper corner pegs on the lot.)
  • In the case where there are pre-existing buildings on the land, a Building Location Certificate may be required to show the exact location of the buildings on the property.
  • State the value of the proposed work-Use and size of the building
  • Construction information (materials being used)
  • State the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the owners, architects, professional engineer or other designer, and contractors.
  • Drawings must be submitted with the complete building permit application to show what will be built.
    * The exact specifications for drawings are available at the Town Office.
  • Any additional information required or requested by the Building Inspector
Do I Need a Building Permit?

Building permits are required for:

  • Building a house
  • Mobile homes
  • Modular Homes & RTMs
  • Accessory Buildings (defined as a garage or shed greater than 10’x10′)
  • Underpinning (Re-enforcement of foundation)
  • Fences
  • Decks

Building permits are not required for:

  • Painting
  • Decorating
  • Replacement of stucco, siding or shingles of the same material
  • Replacement of doors or windows (if the opening is not altered)
  • Replacement of cabinets and shelves
  • Accessory or storage building (detached) not greater than 10’x10′

A Demolition Permit is required for the removal of any building, structure or portion of.

When to notify the Building Inspector

The Owner or Contractor must notify the Building Inspector when building is at inspection stage.

  • Stage One: Plan review
  • Stage Two: Site inspection – one time.
  • Stage Three: Foundation inspection
  • Stage Four: Framing and plumbing inspection
  • Stage Five: Final Inspection

A garage requires inspection at Stages 2, 3 and 5.

Additional Permit Information

Private Pools (over 24” deep or 60cm.)

While no building permit is required for an above ground swimming pool, the following regulations exist under the Manitoba Building Code:

  1. An outdoor private pool shall be enclosed with a fence or other suitable barrier constructed with the following requirements:
    1. A minimum height of 1.5m
    2. There shall be no openings, other than a door to a building or a gate as described in clause (c) and it shall not be possible for a child to crawl under either the fence or gate.
    3. Any gate shall be self closing, shall be at least 1.5m in height and shall be equipped with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry.
    4. Where a chain link is used, the mesh size shall not exceed 50mm and the wire shall be at least number 11 gauge.
    5. Where other than chain link fence is used, the outside surface of the fence or gate shall be relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds.
    6. If, in the opinion of the Building Inspector, there is any undesirable feature pertaining to the enclosure, suitable steps shall be taken to correct the situation.
Private Fences
  1. Fences may not exceed three feet in height in a front yard.
  2. A fence must be set back 12 feet on the side site line on the street side of a corner site.
  3. A fence cannot exceed seven feet in a side yard or rear yard. (With the exception of a corner yard as explained in 1.a. A fence must be built within your own property line.  To ensure this is done correctly, the following is needed to build a fence in the Town of Souris:
    1. A building permit (The Building Inspector will indicate if any information other than a survey certificate is required to obtain your permit.)
    2. A survey certificate showing the corner pegs on the lot.

The following features are permitted to be located:

  • Open terraces, steps, decks and patios not exceeding a height of 1.2m above grade, provided that the following minimum separations are maintained:
    1. 4.5m from any front site line.
    2. 3m from the side site line on the street side of a corner site and:
    3. 3.6m from any interior side site line
Commercial Buildings

All Commercial building renovations, whether structural or not, will require you to contact the Building Inspector at (204) 483-5200.

Upcoming Events

all-day Comedian Matt Falk
Comedian Matt Falk
Apr 20 all-day
The Souris Glenwood Foundation is celebrating their 30th Anniversary on Thursday, April 20, 2023, with an “Encore Performance” by Matt Falk, comedian. We will give more info as time gets closer.
all-day Spring Fling & Town-wide Yard Sales
Spring Fling & Town-wide Yard Sales
May 5 – May 7 all-day
This is a Souris & Glenwood Chamber of Commerce hosted event. More information to follow!  
all-day Souris & Glenwood Ag Society Sum...
Souris & Glenwood Ag Society Sum...
Jul 7 – Jul 9 all-day
This is a Souris & Glenwood Chamber of Commerce event. More information to follow.